Wednesday, March 16, 2011

First post

Ah, the first post of a blog.  Always the best, and sometimes worst.  Well, I guess I should tell you a little about myself.

My name is Lon Varnadore.  I'm an amateur writer who is looking to break into science ficton and fantasy publishing.  I have written a sci-fi novel that is currently in a contest and I'm waiting for that to win or lose.  I might put up an excerpt from it in a future post.

Currently, I'm working on a steampunky fantasy novel.  I say steampunky because there are elements of it.  Yet, they won't dominate the novel.  The fantasy part does.  I have been working on this for a number of years.  Yet, I can never get the story to work out in my head.  It always slipped from my grasp and I have to work on something else.

The first incarnation of this story was written long ago in 2000.  It was a week after Christmas and I was in need of something to work on.  I had recently seen the LotR:Fellowship of the Ring, and having finished rereading it already a few days before seeing the movie itself, I reached out for a concept.  The idea of healing the world was in the back of my head and I went about writing something along those lines.

Ten years down the line, that idea is buried somewhere in the story.  However, so much more has changed.  I will get into more of that when there is more of the story written.  A large part of why many writers don't discuss--or at least the ones I've read about and some I know--is that if we discuss the story in to great a detail, we lose that want to write it down.

I will end this by saying thank you for reading this and I hope you shall follow this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah that makes a lot of sense regarding why you don't want to talk about a story. Writing is so therapeutic, even when it's fiction. And oftentimes once we get it out our mind stops obsessing and your story's gone.

    ReplyDelete