Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Writing, feels good...and a word count update

It feels good to finally start writing again.  To get back into the chair and work on some fiction.  I have been working on it for a few days now and I will now update the word count, with an aside...18,580 words.  Yes, that is a 12,000 word jump.  I wish I could say that I wrote it all in a blistering pace.  Yet, I am a little bit more humble than that and it is from previous drafts of this same story that I am tacking on.  These pages where always around, I just wanted to start with something new before going back and adding in these pages.

Which is something I am sure other writers do.  If not, it doesn't bother me.  I am different.

Anyway...I now have a problem.  Do I go forward and start editing all of the new stuff or say stop and rewrite the stuff I have.  I am not a big fan--sometimes--of re-writing.  This is the drag.  Going back and re-working the words until they are a little better.  I do know I am very close to hitting the mythical eighty page "draft zero."  I looked through my small backlist of posts and can't find it.  A draft zero is a term by Terry Pratchett.  He wrote in a book I recently found, and then had to box up when I moved, that he always tries to get at least eighty pages done for his first draft.  A draft no one will see but himself.  With it, Pratchett knew he had something that could work.  I am close, I have about nine pages to go.  Which shouldn't be to hard it I put in all of the revisions I need to do.

I will tell you all how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Ever thought about posting samples of your work here? Try and get feedback on it?

    ReplyDelete